Why is it yummy? It has a spicy vegetable mince made out of, carrot, cauliflower black beans, wrapped inside a thin, soft homemade flatbread. This is accompanied by a silky and creamy sauce and crunchy lettuce.
Why is it sustainable? Its VEGAN! I used cheap seasonal vegetables like cauliflower and carrots. I imitated meat with the chopped cauliflower so that a non-vegetarian can also enjoy this meal. I used beans and peanuts for protein instead of meat and for a variety of textures.
Why is it healthy? The carrot and cauliflower have a lot of fibre which is good for your digestive
System and carrots are rich in vitamin A. The lettuce has many vitamins and minerals needed for your body. Greek yogurt is a good source of calcium which is good for your bones.
Serves 4 people. Total cost: $7.60. Price for each ingredient is in the table below.
For the filling:
- 1/2 Cauliflower floret
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 can of Black beans or red beans
- 2 large Carrots
- ¼ cup of Peanuts (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Tomato sauce
- Chili powder
- Chili flakes
- 4 Tbsp oil
For the sauce:
- ½ cup coconut cream
For the pancake:
- 4 cups Flour
- 1 tbsp oil
Serve with lettuce
- Wash the vegetables and then grate the carrots using a grater.
- Chop the cauliflower into very small pieces OR cut it into medium chunks and blitz in a food processor. So that it’s like cauliflower rice.
- Dice the onion and chop the garlic cloves.
- Blitz the peanuts in a food processor or chop it finely.
- Take a pan and heat up the oil. Then add the onions. Once the onion turns translucent add the chopped garlic and give it a mix. Then add the carrot, cauliflower, chili flakes, chili powder and salt. Sauté for around 5 minutes.
- Now add the peanuts, beans, and a pinch of salt. Then add the sugar and tomato sauce. Give it a mix and take it off the heat.
- Now we will start making the batter for our easy flat bread. Mix the flour and salt in a bowl and then make a well. Add water little by little into this well and mix. To make sure you have no lumps add a tablespoon of oil. The consistency of this batter should be like a pancake batter. Not too runny.
- Now take a non-stick pan and on medium heat add around ½ a teaspoon of oil then add a ¼ cup of the batter into the center of the pan and swirl the pan around to make a circle.
- Wait until the batter cooks (you can see this when it’s not wet anymore) and then add the filling we made earlier on to the middle of the flat bread and fold the sides of the flat bread so that it’s a square. Start off by folding the right then the the left then top and bottom. Then wait for 4 minutes and flip and wait until there are spots of brown. Make sure both sides have brown specks. Now repeat the same process for the rest of the batter and filling.
- To make the sauce mix all of the ingredients for the sauce mentioned above together.
- Now place a veg mince pocket on some lettuce and drizzle the sauce on top and enjoy!
|1 can of Beans||$1.00|
|Onion and Garlic||$1.00|
|All the spices, salt, oil, sugar||$1.00|
|4 cups Flour||$0.20|
Recipe by Kavya Amarsinghe