Recipe by Emily Rutherford
This recipe is a sustainable alternative to traditional chicken curry as it is fully plant based.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Small onion, diced
- 1/3 cup yellow curry paste (can adjust the change spiciness) (store bought or for homemade see video)
- 1 tin (400g) chickpeas
- 10 baby potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 400ml coconut cream
- 1/2 to 1 cup water depending on how long potatoes take to cook
- 1–2 tablespoons brown sugar/maple syrup (optional)
- 1 cup dry white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1cup frozen peas
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium low heat. Add the onions and sauté for a few minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Cook the rice (see video).
- Add the curry paste, chickpeas, and potatoes and stir to coat with the curry paste. For 3-5 minutes.
- Add the coconut cream and ½ cup water to the pot and leave to simmer for 20-30 minutes until potatoes are cooked through and your sauce is the preferred consistency.
- Add your sweetener and stir through.
- Stir frozen peas through rice until cooked through
- Serve curry on top of rice with a lemon wedge